An endoscopy is a non-surgical procedure utilized to analyze the digestive system of a person as well as, sometimes, use treatment, if it is currently possible. It includes using an endoscope, an adaptable tube with a cam affixed to its end. The electronic camera takes pictures of the within the digestion system, permitting the identifying medical professional to see the images on a monitor connected to the endoscope.
Various types of Endoscopy
There are many manners an endoscopy is done. These include:
- Upper Endoscopy: An upper endoscopy is performed by passing the endoscope with the mouth, throat, as well as down right into the esophagus. This is used when the medical professional requires to analyze the esophagus, abdomen, and the little intestinal tract, specifically its top section.
- Sigmoidoscopy or Colonoscopy: These are two similar procedures that pass the endoscope with the anus right into the large intestine or colon. This is executed when trouble with the colon is suspected.
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP): This is a special type of endoscopy that analyzes the gallbladder as well as the pancreas. It is also used to examine the body components that remain in the same area. An ERCP is likewise sometimes used to eliminate gallstones that have made their means into the bile air duct.
- Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS): This treatment combines endoscopy with ultrasound technology to get even more helpful information on the state and wellness of the digestive system tract.
- Biopsy: Your doctor may likewise utilize an endoscope throughout an endoscopy procedure to take a biopsy sample of the digestive system. Unique endoscopy accessories will be used to eliminate some cells from the damaged area. This sample is after that analyzed to identify whether an illness is present.
- Treatment: During an endoscopy, if your medical professional detects certain problems, it is also possible to utilize the treatment to use treatment. For example, if the treatment reveals active bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract, your medical professional can pass other devices with the endoscope in order to stop the bleeding. Furthermore, if polyps, as well as other developments, are found, the endoscope may likewise be used to remove them.