Hair loss and baldness are issues that are experienced by both men and women, but thankfully there is an array of products and treatment options available to get your hair back to its original state, hair transplantation being one of the most effective.
Hair transplantation explained
During a hair transplant procedure, grafts or follicles are removed from the back of the head as these areas are the most resistant to hormonal changes. These grafts are then placed over the balding areas.
Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) and Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) are the two methods that can be used to remove the grafts. In the FUE method, individual grafts are taken from the back of the head by cutting around them one by one. In the FUT method, a strip of scalp is removed from the back of the head and is divided into individual grafts.
Once the grafts are removed, fine blades and needles are used to create small transplant sites across the balding areas where the grafts will be inserted.
Benefits of the FUT method
- Ideal for larger areas of baldness
- Fewer sittings are required
- Resection rates are much lower depending on the skill of the surgeon
Benefits of the FUE method
- No cuts or stitches
- Faster recovery times, with patients being able to return to work the next day
- No linear scar
Each surgery will take several hours to perform so you will need to block out an entire day for the procedure. You should also mentally prepare yourself for the fact that your surgeon may shave your entire head before proceeding with the surgery.
Post-surgery care for hair transplant patients
Dr Spano, who offers hair transplants in Melbourne, highly recommends following your doctor’s post-surgery instructions to a tee if you want to experience faster recovery.
You can expect to experience swelling around the scalp and face for a few days after your surgery but you will be prescribed painkillers and antibiotics in order to reduce this and help you heal.
The grafts will be kept moist with saline for a few days following your transplant and the hair needs to be washed in a particular way the next day in order to keep the grafts in place. Patients can expect the grafts to fall out after two weeks, with new hair growth appearing after 3 – 6 months.
Hair transplant costs
The cost of hair transplants in Melbourne will vary depending on the doctor and clinic that you use, but you can expect to pay around $7-15 per graft if using the FUE method and around $3 – $7 per graft for the FUT method.
Choosing the right hair transplant surgeon
Below are a few tips to help you choose the right hair transplant surgeon:
- Make sure that your doctor or surgeon is AHRS certified
- Your doctor or surgeon should have extensive training from a recognised hair transplant expert or institution
- Ensure that the doctor’s team is qualified to perform the procedure
- Your surgeon should be the person to design your hairline and should be present during the procedure. Watch out for low rates as this usually means that a surgeon is relying on his technicians to perform the procedure instead
- A qualified and experienced surgeon or technician won’t perform this procedure on patients younger than 25 years of age or those who have serious medical conditions
If you’re looking for a hair loss treatment that will offer long-term results, hair transplantation is definitely a worthwhile investment.